How Artisans Can Use Facebook

By | May 6, 2015

Do you create handmade or up-cycled products? Do you sell vintage or antique items on Etsy or from your website? You may be wondering what, if anything, you can do with your Facebook business page. Here’s how to make the most of your social media account so that you can attract new fans of your work and sell more items.

1. Follow the 80/20 rule. This means that 80% of your posts should provide value to your readers. They should be useful or helpful, or at the very least entertaining. The other 20% of your posts can be promotional. They can direct people to your Etsy shop or ask them to sign up for your newsletter, for example. You can also use some posts to improve ecommerce search engine optimization. The more links that point to your shop, the higher your page could be ranked on search engines.

2. Use Facebook to tell your brand story. Artisans tend to have cool, interesting backstories. Thoroughly fill in the “About” sections of your page. Whenever you have a new item that you’re going to post, add some text about how and why you created the item. Send information about the time period when certain antiques were made if you have vintage items. By giving your brand personality, people will be intrigued and more inclined to purchase from you.

3. Include visuals in your posts, like videos and images. By including a “How To” instructional video or behind-the-scenes images, you’ll attract more people to your post and grow your audience. Just make sure you’re using high quality imagery. If you’re not adept at photography, hire a professional.

4. Solve a problem for your customers and potential customers. How will your product improve someone’s life? Will the beautiful necklace you made become someone’s go-to piece? Will the lamp you handcrafted fit perfectly on a small end table? Figure out what problem your products sell and appeal to it.

5. Include all the information someone will need. When people start out on Facebook, they don’t always want to get off the platform in order to visit another web page. By including all of your FAQ on your Facebook page as well as your website, people can find the information they’re looking for wherever they are. Since many handmade products aren’t exactly necessities, you want to make it easy for people to find, learn about, and then purchase your items. If you leave too much time in between steps, they could move on to something else without every going through with the purchase.

It’s important to keep up with Facebook updates. Facebook tends to make changes often, which can affect everything from the ads you normally run to how likely it is that your audience will actually see your posts. By staying on top of trends and updates, you’ll be able to use your Facebook page to the best of its ability.